MANILA - Ten selected young Filipino-Americans from all over the United States will be visiting the Philippines for a week-long immersion program.
The delegates to this year's Filipino-American Youth Leadership Program or FYLPro are:
1. Edward Aparis (Chula Vista, California) – Consultant at the Strands Group
2. Ryyn Chua (Gardena, California) – Founder and CEO of Double Y Entertainment
3. Rommel Clemente (Milpitas, California) – Supervising Senior Associate for the Connor Group
4. Adette Contreras (Brooklyn, New York) – Creative Director at Saatchi & Saatchi, Co-Founder and Partner at Tinsel & Twine
5. Michael Dahilig (Lihue, Hawaii) – Director of the Department of Planning at the County of Kauai in Hawaii
6. Rafael Diokno (Washington, D.C.) – Project Lead at SGT, Inc.,
7. Abbey Eusebio (Lincolnwood, Illinois) – Constituent Advocate at the Office of US Representative Jan Schakowsky
8. Jan Paul Ferrer (Tinley Park, Illinois) – Associate Vice President at Morgan Stanley
9. Ryan Letada (New York, New York) – CEO and co-founder of Next Day Better Inc.,
10. Jason Tengco (Washington, D.C.) – Senior Advisor at the White House Initiative on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders
FYLPro, which will be held from July 24 to 28, selected the delegates in recognition of the work they are doing to advance the welfare of their respective Filipino-American communities, among other criteria.
The brainchild of Philippine Ambassador to the United States, Jose Cuisia Jr., and his wife Vicky, FLYPro is an annual week-long immersion program in the Philippines designed to give the delegates a chance to interact with government, industry and thought leaders in the country, and get hands-on experience in development initiatives.
“I firmly believe it is vital that the next generation of Filipino-Americans be involved in the affairs of their communities,” Cuisia said. “I have always advocated that they have a stronger voice in policy discussions and the political process, as well as the economic domain of both countries.”
The program links up with the annual Ambassador’s, Consuls’ General and Tourism Director’s Tour (ACGTDT) which will run from July 28 to 30. Among this year’s corporate sponsors are Philippine Airlines, Chevron Philippines, General Electric Philippines, Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines and Security Bank.
The delegates are expected to maintain ties with the Philippine embassy or the nearest consulate, to work on projects that will elevate awareness of the Philippines, and strengthen the Filipino-American communities in their areas, and champion Philippine initiatives in the US.
The FYLPRO 2014 delegates will be sharing their experiences through social media.