MANILA – The Department of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday said it has identified two land routes to be used for the evacuation of Filipinos from Libya, as rival militias continue to battle for control of the country's airports.
"So far we have identified two --to Tunisia and Egypt --from there they will be brought home," said DFA Assistant Secretary Charles Jose.
Jose admitted that there is a higher risk involved now with land travel.
"Because they have to pass several checkpoints manned by different militia groups. But since the embassy will be the one to bring them out I think they will have a safer cover security," Jose said.
The DFA has placed Libya under Crisis Alert Level 4 which calls for mandatory repatriation of the estimated 13,000 Filipinos there.
On Monday, the DFA announced that a Filipino construction worker kidnapped on July 15 was beheaded.
"We have identified him but we cannot disclose this because of the request of the family," said Jose.
His remains, already in a state of decomposition, were found in a hospital on July 20.