SAUDI ARABIA – The Filipino worker who was mauled, raped and left for dead in the desert is slowly recovering in a hospital.
"Mario" is still having difficulty talking and is still complaining about pain in the head. But he tried to tell the ordeal he experienced last May 16, 2014.
The OFW said he met one of the suspects after work.
"Basta may nakipag-meet sa akin na Saudi. Tapos nag-usap kami," he said. "Kilala ko siya kasi nagta-trabaho siya sa Othaim. Pero di ko kilala talaga. Kilala ko lang sa mukha."
He added that he will surely recognize the man once he sees him again.
Mario said three men and a young Saudi took him to an undisclosed house.
"Sinapak-sapak ako," he said.
He was not sure what the suspects used to maul him. He also was unsure if two of the men are real policemen because they were wearing uniform at the time of the crime.
"Prino-protektahan ko na lang yung sarili ko kasi nasasaktan na ako," he said.
His friends have been with him since they found out about the incident.
"Ang laki na po ng improvement kasi last week gumagalaw lang sya and now, thanks God, nakakapagsalita na siya," said his friend Ariel Cayas.
The Filipino community was shocked by what happened to Mario.
"Nakakagulat ang pangyayaring ito. Sinubaybayan natin ang taong ito na talagang karumal-dumal ang nangyari," said Benjie Jay Bautista. "Sana itong insidente na ito ay makatulong na gisingin yung kaalaman ng mga tao na mag ingat. Doble doble ingat".
Meanwhile, Mario appeals for more support and understanding from fellow Filipinos in Saudi Arabia.
"Sana tulungan nila ako. Tulungan nila ako para makauwi ako, makauwi ako ng maayos at mabuti," he said.
Mario has formally given his statement to the embassy together with his employer.