Having passport problems in Saudi? Read this


Posted at May 25 2013 12:17 PM | Updated as of May 25 2013 08:17 PM

MANILA – Undocumented Filipinos wishing to be repatriated to the Philippines and those who would like to change their work status are urged follow the correct processes before the grace period set by the labor and interior ministries ends on July 3.

The Philippine Consulate in Jeddah came up with an advisory written in Filipino and issued on May 21.

"The advisory outlines the procedure in obtaining a travel document that can be used to exit the Kingdom in lieu of passports," the consulate said in a statement.

The consulate added that the advisory also provides information and outlines the process on the retrieval of passports surrendered to its office and describes in detail the procedures for obtaining a replacement passport.

"Umrah/Hajj overstayers are also advised on how to renew their passports," the consulate said.

1. Those wishing to be repatriated:

The consulate is issuing Travel Document which OFWs can use in lieu of passports. Application forms for the Travel Document can be obtained for free from 8 a.m. to 12 nn in the front and back gates of the consulate.

Accomplished forms must be placed in a dropbox located at the back of the consulate and will be collected every 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Travel Documents will be released to applicants after two days, around 7 p.m. at the gate at the back of the consulate.

2. Retrieval of surrendered passports:

Fill up a free request slip for "surrendered passport" which can be obtained at the gate at the back of the consulate every 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.. Accomplished slips must be placed in a dropbox located at the same gate. The passports, if with the consulate, will be released at 4 p.m. on the same day.

Once the surrendered passport is released to its owner, he or she can now have it renewed or extend its validity.

For those whose passports were surrendered in Riyadh or in the Eastern Region, the same request slip must be filled up and marked with "Riyadh". Once the consulate verifies that the passport is with the embassy in Riyadh, it will be sent to Jeddah and the OFW will be notified through phone.

However, if the OFW doesn't get a call from the consulate in two days it means that the passport is not with the embassy. The OFW would then need to apply for a replacement for the passport which will then be deemed "lost".

3. Renewing or extending "surrendered passports":

Fill up an application for ePassport which is given for free in the front and back gates of the consulate. Present the accomplished form at the gate at the back of the consulate to get an "appointment date".

OFWs are advised to return on the scheduled appointment date for their passport picture, fingerprints and payment of SR240 and extension for one year of the validity of the surrendered passport. While waiting for the new ePassport, the OFW can start looking for a new sponsor or work and can proceed to the Jawazat and Labor Office.

4. Obtaining replacement for lost passports:

A. Those with a photocopy of their lost passports:

Fill up an Application for ePassport and Affidavit of Loss form which are provided for free at the front and back gates of the consulate. Present the accomplished forms together with the photocopy of the lost passport to get an appointment date. Return on the scheduled appointment for the passport picture and fingerprints and payment of fees.

The ePassport will be released on the date specified on the receipt.

B. Those without a photocopy of their lost passports:

Fill up the same application and affidavit forms, and submit it together with a copy of your identification card bearing your photo for verification by the DFA in Manila.

Once verified, the OFW will get a call from the consulate on when they should return for the passport photo, fingerprints and payment of SR460 if lost passport is not an ePassport, and SR700 if it's an ePassport. The date of release will be indicated on the receipt.

5. Renewing Umrah/Hajj passport:

Applicants need to bring a copy of their birth certificate and other valid IDs to renew the passport. The fee is SR240.

The DFA in Manila has assigned a group tasked to do the verification of lost passports to expedite the process. It will likewise rush the printing and sending of new passports back to Saudi Arabia.