ABS-CBN News

2 Pinoy survivors of Korean ferry tragedy returning home

Posted at | Updated as of 04/26/14 4:12 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Two Filipino workers who survived the ferry accident in Korea are safe and coming home soon, the Department of Labor and Employment reported yesterday.

Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said overseas performing artists Emmanuel Manio and Frances Cabras have expressed desire to go home as soon as the investigation on the ferry accident is completed.

At this time, the two Filipinos are under the care of the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Korea.

The two Filipinos came to POLO last April 18 and recounted the events surrounding the accident and their rescue by the Korean Coast Guard.

The sea mishap has so far claimed the lives of over 150 passengers.

In their signed statements, Manio and Cabras recalled the ship started its voyage at 9 p.m. from Incheon to Jeju Island on April 15.

While resting in their cabin the next morning, the two said the vessel made an abrupt turn and they noticed that the ship was listing.

When things in the cabin started falling, they decided to get out and crawled until they reached the bridge where they met other crewmembers.

They stayed at the bridge for about 40 minutes until rescue arrived. They were then transported to an evacuation area where they were given relief goods since they left all their things on the ship.

Manio, along with other survivors, was sent to Jindo Korean Hospital for treatment of his injured foot.

Baldoz assured the two Filipinos that they would be provided the necessary assistance.

They will be allowed to take a leave from work to recover from the shock and trauma they suffered.

“We are happy that the two overseas Filipino performing artists who survived the accident are safe and in good condition, although we are deeply saddened by what happened,” Baldoz said.

“We are offering our prayers and sympathy for those who lost their loved ones in this unfortunate event,” she added.