No reports of Filipino fatalities in Chile quake
MANILA – The Philippine Embassy in Chile is working to get in touch with Filipinos there who may have been affected by the powerful earthquake that struck the country's Pacific coast on Tuesday.
Philippine Ambassador Consuelo Puyat-Reyes said there has been no report of any Filipino casualties so far.
"What we did was to immediately find out the telephone numbers of all the Filipinos living in the north and there were about 8 Filipinos there," said Puyat-Reyes.
The ambassador said out of the eight Filipinos, four are safe.
"The other four, we are still trying to get in touch with them," she said.
Agence France-Presse reported that six people, all Chilean nationals, were killed in the quake.
The 8.2 magnitude quake struck at 8:46 p.m. (2346 GMT) at a depth of 10 kilometers (six miles), 83 kilometers from Iquique on Chile's northern coast, the United States Geological Survey said. With a report from Agence France-Presse