Fil-Am teacher charged with sex abuse faces victims' families

By Balitang America Staff

Posted at Apr 01 2014 12:11 PM | Updated as of Apr 02 2014 12:33 AM

REDWOOD CITY, California – The Filipino American teacher in Richmond, California accused of molesting his male students went to court Friday, where family members of his alleged victims spoke out for the first time.

Victims’ family members said they went to court seeking justice.

Ronald Guinto is facing 27 charges including lewd acts with a child and kidnapping.

Prosecutors said Guinto brought male students, aged 11 and 12, of Making Waves Academy in Richmond on overnight field trips and molested them.

Guinto's lawyer, Robert Beles, asked the court on Friday for more time to review the evidence.

Beles said Guinto is prepared to defend himself against the charges.

Meanwhile, the West Contra Costa School District where Guinto was hired as a 7th grade teacher while under investigation, voted unanimously to toughen its hiring practices.

The district admitted to failing to check Guinto's references in their background check because Guinto had worked there previously as a substitute teacher.

Guinto will return to court in May.