Pinoys restricted from working in Venezuela

By Mayen Jaymalin, The Philippine Star

Posted at Mar 12 2014 02:52 AM | Updated as of Mar 12 2014 10:52 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Filipino workers are restricted from entering and working in Venezuela due to escalating tension, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reported yesterday.

Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz said a temporary deployment ban is currently in effect for Filipino workers going to Venezuela.

The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) governing board has approved a resolution imposing the temporary ban.

“In view of the civil disturbance and instability in Venezuela, the POEA restricts travel of Filipinos who intend to work there,” Baldoz said.

She said the ban is necessary to protect overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), as she noted the restriction covers only new recruits and not returning workers.

Demonstrators in Venezuela have been staging rallies since Feb. 12 to demand the resignation of President Nicolas Maduro.

A few days ago, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) raised the crisis alert level in Venezuela from level 1 (precautionary phase) to level 2 (restriction phase) due to tension.

DFA advised Filipinos to limit non-essential movements, avoid public places, monitor developments and prepare for possible evacuation.

Based on POEA data, the number of newly hired Filipino workers in Venezuela rose from 48 in 2012 to 71 last year.