PH appeals for another extension for OFW on death row
MANILA - The Philippine government is still attempting to extend the deadline for the payment of the blood money for overseas Filipino worker Joselito Zapanta which will end on Tuesday.
Vice President Jejomar Binay said they have requested for another extension due to the failure to raise the blood money amounting to P44 million.
“Ang importante dun makahingi tayo ng extension,” said Binay, who also serves as presidential adviser for OFW concerns.
Binay said the deadline was deferred for four months last October.
So far, only P10 million has been raised by the government and the public sector.
“Kaya kami nag-aapela sa media, magtulung-tulong tayo sa pag-aapela sa ating mga kababayan na makatulong ba sa pagri-raise ng P34-M,” he said.
Binay did not say though how much extension they are asking but he confirmed that Zapanta's mother and sister already flew to Saudi Arabia.
“Kamakalawa umalis na 'yung pamilya. Umalis na 'yung nanay saka 'yung kapatid. Nandun na ho, nandun na po sila sa Saudi Arabia,” he said.
Zapanta and his family is from Mexico, Pampanga. He went to Saudi Arabia in 2008 and in 2009, killed his Sudanese landlord.
The Vice President is hoping however, that like in the case of OFW Dondon Lanuza, a miracle might happen and the king of Saudi Arabia will also help raise the blood money.
“Sana. Yun ang pinakamagandang paraan,” he said.