OFW jumps to death in Kuwait

By Maxxy Santiago, ABS-CBN Middle East News Bureau

Posted at Feb 27 2014 03:23 PM | Updated as of Feb 28 2014 08:35 PM

Amar Cabalfin Galang

KUWAIT – A Filipino fast food service crew member died after jumping from the rooftop of a building in Kuwait.

Amar Cabalfin Galang, 28 years old, jumped from the 8th floor of a building in Mahboula on February 21.

The Tondo native had been working in Kuwait for over a year.

According to his flatmate Allan Zurita, Galang first slashed his wrist inside the toilet then went to the rooftop.

Zurita said they followed Galang and tried to dissuade him from further inflicting harm on himself, but they were only told not to come near him or else he would jump.

They then decided to call the attention of the building's security guard, but even he could not stop Galang.

Frustrated, Zurita said they went down again but were shocked to learn that Galang already jumped from the rooftop. He died on the spot.

Zurita said Galang had left a suicide letter for his family and girlfriend.

"Bumalik kami uli rito kasama ang mga pulis. May nakita kami sa unan niya na letter para sa mga magulang niya at saka yong girlfriend niya. Bale ang nakasaad, iyong sa family niya, pakisabi na mahal na mahal niya, hindi niya matutupad, binilinan niya ang kapatid niya ganun. Tapos, hindi siya makatiis dito nalulungkot siya. Tapos pakisabi na lang sa minamahal niyang babae, tinupad niya ang pangako niya na hindi siya nambabae," Zurita said.

He also added that while they were flatmates, Galang never opened up to him about personal problems.

Meanwhile, the Philippine embassy extended its sympathy to the OFW's family in the Philippines. The embassy also promised to repatriate Galang's remains as soon as authorities conclude its investigation.

Consul General Atty. Raul Dado said they already spoke with Galang's employers

"They have some testimonies from colleagues, ito na nga, he’s depressed. He intimated he had some problems, his personal and probably family life. So it’s an ongoing investigation that we have to affirm and confirm," said Dado.