MANILA, Philippines - The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is now processing the submission of DNA sample from the next of kin of the missing overseas Filipino worker in last week's attack in In Amenas gas facility in Algeria.
DFA assistant secretary Raul Hernandez said on Monday that the DNA sample will be matched against the sample obtained from the body parts that were recovered from the facility.
“Once were able to get sample we will send that over to Algeria, to our team there, so there will be DNA matching with the remains in the mortuary,” Hernandez said.
The DFA official declined to release the name of the OFW as well as the whereabouts of the next of kin.
“We know who is missing and therefore we know also who the next of kin are here in the Philippines,” he said.
Eight Filipino workers died in the bloody hostage-crisis in Algeria which also killed about 30 other foreign workers.
Hernandez said the remains of the four fatalities will be arriving in Manila in the next few days.
However, there will be no media coverage, according to Hernandez, as requested by the families.
“Media should not attempt to meet them at the airport and elsewhere. When they are ready to share their experience, as well as their grief, they will approach the media,” said Hernandez.