MANILA - The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday said no Filipinos were hurt in the chemical factory blast in Japan.
"According to our Consulate General in Osaka, which has jurisdiction over Mie Prefecture where the chemical factory explosion happened, so far there have been no reports of Filipinos having been affected by the blast," DFA spokesperson, Assistant Secretary Raul Hernandez said.
The blast at the Mitsubishi Materials Corp. plant in Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture happened past 2 p.m. on Thursday.
Kyodo News reported that five people died from the blast, and the victims were involved in maintenance work.
It added that the factory produces materials used in semiconductors for personal computers.