MANILA -- Six years ago today, Jonas Burgos was allegedly abducted by “bad soldiers.” His wife finally spoke up, hoping that he will one day reunite with her and their only child.
In a video uploaded by Red Ants Production in video-sharing website YouTube, Burgos’ wife said she decided not to come out in public to protect their child. “Pwede kasi kaming gamitin ng perpetrators para panakot kay Jonas,” she said.
Burgos’ wife believes her husband is still alive and will some day appear. “Ga, kung naririnig mo kami…di kami tumitigil ni Yumi…Mahal na mahal kita…Stay alive, manatili kang malakas,” she said in the video.
“Isipin mo lagi, nandyan lang kami sa tabi mo…Keep the faith, Ga,” she told Burgos.
According to her, her gut feel that Burgos is still alive is what keeps her going.
A photo of Burgos supposedly taken days after he was allegedly abducted on April 28, 2007 recently surfaced. "That photo was taken after the abduction of Jonas. But along with the photo are documents which are confidential which I submitted to the [Supreme Court] in a sealed envelope," his mother, Edita Burgos, said.
The photo showed Burgos looking dazed.
Edita described it: "That picture showed that he was probably blindfolded just before the photo was taken. You can see there's a piece of cloth draped around his neck, it was probably the blindfold that they used. You would notice also that there were also markings under his left eye which would show that he was blindfolded previously."
This new evidence spurred the high court to grant a temporary protection order to Edita and the Burgos family.
In its resolution, the high tribunal also ordered Armed Forces of the Philippines chief of staff Gen. Emmanuel Bautista to submit a confidential report on the whereabouts of the military personnel tagged by Burgos and to “ensure that [they] can be located and served processes, if any would be issued by the tribunal.”
Bad people, bad soldiers
Burgos’ wife said she waited for hours for a return call from him on April 28 six years ago. Hours passed, and she already knew something went wrong.
“Sasabog na dibdib ko, alam ko nang may problema ...Para akong nababaliw,” she said.
But she needed to keep going for their child Yumi, who was only two-and-a-half years old when the incident happened.
At such a young age, the child, who was his "Tati's girl," needed to be told of what happened since she was asking questions.
“I had to explain sa pinakasimpleng paraan…[At first, I said] may mga bad guys na kumuha sa kanya. Umabot sa isang taon, ang bad guys nagging bad soldiers…Malalim na ang inabot ng explanation,” she said.
There also was a time when Yumi blurted out to her mother in school during an event: “Mama, sana nakikita ako ni Tati.”
Burgos’ wife explained, “Kaya natin ivi-video, para maipakita natin lahat sa kanya, wala syang mami-miss.”
It was only a few days ago that Yumi saw the “new evidence.” She said she kept the photo from the child, but she eventually saw it on television.
Just looking at the child, she said she already knew what Yumi was thinking about and she would always tell her to whisper to her “Tati” to keep the faith and to be strong always.