MANILA -- Cedric Lee and Simeon Raz Jr., two of the accused in the beating of actor-host Vhong Navarro last January, have been transferred to Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City.
Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) spokesperson Inspector Aris Villaester said Lee and Raz were brought to the city jail at around 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
Villaester said the two men, who first underwent booking procedures, will be detained in an isolation room for a week before they will be moved to a regular cell with other Camp Bagong Diwa inmates.
Lee and Raz were charged with serious illegal detention and grave coercion in connection with the mauling of Navarro last January 22.
They were previously detained at the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) headquarters in Manila.
In a resolution dated June 16, the Taguig Regional Trial Court Branch 271 denied the two men's continued detention at the NBI headquarters, paving the way for their transfer to Camp Bagong Diwa.
The court also junked the petition of model Deniece Cornejo to stop her possible transfer to a regular jail from the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) at Camp Crame in Quezon City.
Taguig RTC Branch 271 Judge Paz Esperanza Cortes said the claims of threat to the lives of the accused are without merit, noting that based on inspections and interviews, regular inmates "had not hatred in mind against the accused herein."
Meanwhile, CIDG spokesperson Chief Inspector Elizabeth Jasmin said they will not yet transfer Cornejo to Camp Bagong Diwa until the motion for reconsideration filed by the accused is resolved. -- Reports from Jeck Batallones, ABS-CBN News; Henry Atuelan, dzMM