Sequel? Brillante Mendoza to return as Duterte's SONA director

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 15 2017 08:28 PM

Award-winning director Brillante Mendoza is set to return to Batasan Pambansa to direct President Rodrigo Duterte's second State of the Nation Address on July 24, the presidential communications chief said Saturday.

"Si director Brillante Mendoza muli magdi-direct dahil nagpahiwatig naman siya ng interes. Expect another Brillante Mendoza show," Martin Andanar said in an interview on DZMM.

"The director will also adjust some of his shots because some of his shots were criticized last year."

Mendoza's direction of Duterte's first SONA drew flak for "artsy" shots including a tight shot of Duterte's fists, slow transitions, and a worm's-eye view of the president.

"I don't think that will happen again, iyong shooting up na shots," Andanar said.

In an interview a day after the 2016 SONA, Mendoza said he understood if some people didn't appreciate his style, but is nevertheless happy that it drew attention to the president.

"Hindi naman lahat ng nanood admittedly ay film literate, pero ‘pag babasahin mo iyong mga sinabi ng mga film literate ay matutuwa ka . . . For those who don’t understand those kinds of shots, it was really the intention to make it different from the past SONA," Mendoza said.

Mendoza, who openly supported Duterte's war on illegal drugs, is one of two Filipino directors who were recently included as members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, the American organization that gives out the Oscars.

His award-winning movie "Ma' Rosa" was the country's official entry in the Best Foreign Language Film category of the 2017 Academy Awards.