MANILA - "It's Showtime" co-host Vice Ganda has denied criticizing veteran comedian Vic Sotto on air, adding that a supposed video being spread online is a hoax.
The link to supposed video with the title "VICE GANDA SINABIHANG LAOS AT INUTIL si VIC SOTTO on AIR" made the rounds online in last week and was even picked up by tabloids.
A similar link, this time titled "Vic Sotto Minura si Vice Ganda," also went viral on Facebook.
Neither of the links led to any video as claimed in its title.
The supposed links are suspected to lead to a phishing scam wherein internet users' passwords are stolen by hackers.
In an interview aired on "Aquino & Abunda Tonight" on Monday, Vice Ganda said there were similar cases in the past wherein internet links to alleged celebrity scandals turned out to be hoaxes.
"It's a hoax!" he said of the links tagging him and Sotto. "Parang 'yung ano dati, 'di ba may kumalat sa text na link na pag binuksan mo, sex video."
"Pag gano'n, wala man. Gawa-gawa lang ng mga praning," he said.
Vice Ganda said it would be impossible for him to malign Sotto, who co-hosts the long-running "Eat Bulaga." The noontime show airs in the same timeslot as "It's Showtime."
The comedian explained: "Nung tinanong ako, totoong bang ginawa mo 'yon? Sabi ko, 'Napaka-imposible naman no'n. Vic Sotto is an icon.' As a comedian na nagsisimula palang, he's my icon. 'Diba? Ganunin ko 'yung icon ko?"
Referring to the link claiming Sotto cursed at him, Vice Ganda came to the defense of the screen veteran, saying it is not in his character to do such a thing especially on television.
"Wala naman sa karakter ng tao na gagawa ng gano'n," he said.