Be Careful with my Heart
MANILA - A big-screen version of the hit ABS-CBN daytime series "Be Careful With My Heart," and a horror film starring the "love team" of teen stars Daniel Padilla and Kathryn Bernardo are among the films being screened for the 39th Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF).
Richard Yap, who portrays a widowed businessman in "Be Careful With My Heart," told ABS-CBN News that the movie version of the series will serve as a continuation of the love story of his character "Sir Chief" and actress Jodi Sta. Maria's Maya.
"It's going to be a different story from 'Be Careful.' Para siyang continuation, hindi siya 'yung condensed version. Kung ano ang nangyayari sa 'Be Careful,' after that, iyon ang mabubuo," he said.
After 11 months on air so far, the "kilig-serye" has been extended numerous times. No definite ending for the series has been announced.
Padilla and Bernardo's horror film, meanwhile, recently had its story conference, where it was announced that the MMFF submission will center on the Filipino superstition of "pagpag."
The film will tackle the belief among Filipinos that one should never go home directly after visiting a wake since it risks bringing evil spirits to one's home.
Meantime, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chief Francis Tolentino vowed to be fair with the screening process and selection of the films vying to be competing entries to the government agency's annual film festival.
In an interview with ABS-CBN News on Friday, Tolentino said the committee in charge of screening the 15 submissions will adhere to a set of criteria in selecting the eight official entries.
"Everything will be fair. Patas po ito, talagang tatrabahuhin ng screening committee kung sino 'yung mapipili, so makakaasa tayo na kung ano 'yung magiging resulta, ito po ay dumaan sa isang metikulosong proseso, base sa rules at pantay-pantay po lahat," he said.
In previous editions of the MMFF, film submissions were selected based on criteria such as story, creativity, global appeal; b) commercial viability; and Filipino cultural and historical value.
Last year, the eight selected entries to the film festival turned in a record-breaking total gross of P767.8 million.
Asked if he expects this year's MMFF to earn a similar figure with the 15 films for consideration, Tolentino said, "For now, we will evaluate 'yung list natin of entries. Siguro magandang balanse iyon, then tingnan natin kung ano 'yung mood ngayong Christmas season."
According to Tolentino, the eight competing films in the 2013 Metro Manila Film Festival will be announced next week.