ABS-CBN News

Willie Revillame to end contract with TV5

Posted at | Updated as of 05/22/13 4:59 AM

Television host Willie Revillame
MANILA (UPDATED) – Television host Willie Revillame is reportedly not renewing his contract with the No. 3 network TV5 when it expires in October.

According to entertainment website Pep.ph, the TV host made the announcement during his noontime show “Wowowillie” on Tuesday.

“Alam ninyo, may mga personal na rason na hindi ko na sasabihin sa inyo. Ako muna’y magpapahinga ng ilang buwan, ng isang taon o anuman... Tatapusin ko na lang po ang kontrata ko sa TV5,” he said as quoted by the website.

“Ganyan talaga ang buhay. Kasi kailangan ko rin ng time. Malungkot lang ay hindi tayo magkikita araw-araw. Wala nang sigawan, walang umiiyak sa saya, walang nabibigyan ng pamasahe, walang nabibigyan ng ganito," he added.

With his contract set to expire on October 15, Revillame said: “Maybe October 12 will be the last show ng Wowowillie.”

Revillame said he made the declaration to finally put an end to speculations about his future plans. He also added he was the one who personally wrote a letter to TV5 chairman Manny V. Pangilinan.

“Anyway, tingnan po natin, baka may pagkakataon ay magkita-kita pa rin tayo. Yun lang po para matapos na ang haka-haka. Ako ay sumulat na sa pamunuan ng TV5, ako po ay nagpaalam na—May 17. Actually po, sinagot na nila ako na I think tinatanggap nila 'yung aking pagpapaalam sa TV5. Para wala nang news, basta po tatapusin ko ang kontrata ko hanggang October," he said.

The controversial host, however, hinted that he will possibly appear on another show in the future.

“Kapag may nagsara na bintana, may magbubukas na pintuan. Basta mag-e-enjoy pa rin tayo,” he said.

Meanwhile, TV5 said it respects Revillame’s decision not to renew his contract with the network.

“We respect the decision of Mr. Willie Revillame to retire upon the expiry of his contract with TV5,” Peachy Guioguio of TV5’s corporate communications department said in a text message she sent to the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

Last month, ABS-CBN president and chief executive officer Charo Santos-Concio denied rumors that Revillame will return to the Kapamilya network.

"That's not true. We're not in talks with Willie Revillame. We're very happy with the ratings of '[It's] Showtime.' We're very happy with 'Showtime,'" she said in a press conference.

Revillame left ABS-CBN in 2010.