Vhong Navarro faces 3rd rape complaint
Navarro's camp expected 3rd, ready to face 4th
MANILA - A third rape complaint was filed Wednesday against Vhong Navarro, his legal counsel confirmed, following similar cases lodged against the actor in the last two months by different women.
The latest rape complaint, according to Atty. Alma Mallonga, was filed by a woman who claims that the incident happened back in 2009.
"What struck me is 2009 pa ito, five years ago. It raises a lot of questions not only on the credibility of the allegation but ultimately, 'yung abilidad ng nag aakusa to prove her case," Mallonga said in an interview with ABS-CBN.
"It is true, you can file the case within the prescriptive period. But the fact that you did not says a lot how credible and strong your case is," she added.
Both model Deniece Cornejo and former pageant contestant Roxanne Cabanero had already filed separate rape charges against Navarro in January and February, respectively.
According to Mallonga, the complaint could be another ploy to divert attention away from the primary case, saying that it is part of a "strategy" supposedly plotted by businessman Cedric Lee.
Lee is one of eight facing criminal charges, including the non-bailable offense of illegal detention, in relation to the mauling of Navarro last January 22 -- the same night Cornejo alleged she was raped by the actor.
"Noong pagkalabas na pagkalabas pa lang nito, mayroon na siyang sinasabi na mayroon siyang mga nakausap na babae. In fact, mga six or seven or even eight. Ang nakakatawa nga doon, at tinatanong, paano naman niya nalaman ang mga cellphone number ng mga babae nito kung hindi siya mismo ang naghanap," she explained.
Mallonga furthered that their camp expects another rape complaint to be filed soon, adding that it will surface from the province of Davao.
"Malakas din ang balita na we should expect another one, at ang filing ay gagawin sa Davao, Somewhere out of town na gustong pagurin si Vhong, panghinaan ng loob. That will not happen," she said.