Cesar Montano's son commits suicide; love angle eyed
MANILA, Philippines - (3rd UPDATE) The 23-year-old son of actor Cesar Montano committed suicide in their home in Quezon City on Friday morning apparently due to a "love" problem.
Initial police reports said Christian Angelo Manhilot, the actor's son with his first wife, shot himself in the head with a .45 pistol inside their house along Yakal Street, Tivoli Royale subdivision in Barangay Batasan Hills, Quezon City at around 6 a.m..
Radio DZMM reported that, according to Manhilot's helpers, Christian Angelo took his own life allegedly due to problems with his girlfriend.
The report said Christian Angelo was talking to someone over the phone before he ended his life.
In an earlier interview, Superintendent Chris Mendoza, commander of the Batasan Police Station, said Manhilot was rushed to Malvar Hospital in Quezon City and was declared dead at 6:40 a.m.. The boy died of a single gunshot wound in the head.
He said that household helper Alicia Pancho was the one who discovered the victim in the kitchen located at the 2nd floor of the Manhilots' house.
Pancho called the police station at the subdivision’s security quarters, the police commander said.
He said crime scene investigators found the boy’s bloodied body slumped in one corner of the kitchen with a .45 pistol by his side.
Aside from the gun, a landline phone and a cellular phone were also found near the boy’s body.
No to autopsy
Cesar Montano, father of Christian Angelo, reportedly rejected an autopsy for his son since he believes his son really took his own life. He also believes there was no foul play, radio DZMM said.
According to Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) chief Inspector Rizaldy Odi, who went in Manhilot's house, they read a text message allegedly from the boy's girlfriend saying that she had already forgiven him if he was asking for forgiveness.
The report said Christian Angelo was able to reply to his girlfriend before the unfortunate incident.
Montano was not home when the incident happened as he was busy campaigning in Bohol.
The incident happened during Friday's kick-off of the campaign for the local elections.
Montano is running for governor of Bohol. -- With report from Doland Castro, ABS-CBN News, DZMM