Former couple Vina Morales and Cedric Lee
Actress on Vhong-Cedric controversy: Spare me!
MANILA -- Actress Vina Morales denied on Wednesday that she was physically abused by her former partner, businessman Cedric Lee, who has been accused of leading a recent attack on actor Vhong Navarro.
In a statement given to ABS-CBN News, Morales' legal counsel, Atty. Ariel Radovan, criticized the mention of the actress in the controversy surrounding Lee and Navarro.
"We refer to the recent news article and video clips whereby the good name of our client, Miss Vina Morales, has been unnecessarily mentioned relative to the controversy surrounding the Vhong Navarro-Cedric Lee incident," the lawyer said.
"For the record, contrary to what has been aired or written, our firm maintains and so holds that the news tidbits with reference to the infliction of physical violence at any given time to her person by Mr. Lee is purely fictional, conjectural and speculative," the statement added.
Morales and Lee became a couple in 2006, "Buzz ng Bayan" reported Sunday, but separated not long after when the businessman reportedly rekindled his relationship with ex-wife Judy Lee, with whom he has two children.
In an interview in 2011, Morales said she and Lee were no longer a couple when she became pregnant with their only child, who is now four years old. At the time, the actress said she continued having "good communication" with Lee, who she added visited their daughter "almost everyday."
In a "TV Patrol" report aired on Tuesday, Sr. Supt. Albert Ocon of the PNP-PSPG said Morales accused Lee of physical abuse in 2012, which he said was the reason for the termination of his security detail.
Morales' lawyer on Wednesday also addressed Lee having police escorts at the time.
"Reports had it likewise about supposed involvement of PNP officers in the loop regarding the alleged PNP personnel assigned to Mr. Lee," Radovan said. "Our position is that should there be any breach of protocols, we believe that the PNP hierarchy would be able to address these concerns as their established systems provide."
Radovan added that Morales "has already exercised her rights through our firm by instituting legal recourse which is of public knowledge and record."
Speaking with ABS-CBN News in August last year, Morales confirmed that she was involved in a legal battle, saying she was willing to face the court for the benefit of her daughter. She refused to give further details.
"We appeal to everyone and sundry, to spare our client, especially the young and innocent Ceana from negative, undue and unjust publicity both don't deserve," Morales' lawyer added in his statement. "The Navarro-Lee affair is beyond Miss Morales. Let us endeavor to give her peace."
Lee, along with seven others, are facing six criminal charges filed by Navarro in relation to the January 22 incident in Taguig: serious physical injuries, grave threat, grave coercion, unlawful arrest, blackmail, and serious illegal detention -- a non-bailable offense.