MANILA -- Anne Curtis has come to the defense of "It's Showtime" co-host Vhong Navarro, who is currently recovering from serious injuries after being attacked by a group men last week.
The 28-year-old actress was in high spirits after signing a two-year contract with ABS-CBN on Wednesday, but quickly shifted moods when the controversy involving Navarro was brought up in her media interview.
"You know, for me kasi, I'm just happy that talagang he's safe," she said, when asked to comment on the ongoing investigation into the January 22 incident.
"I'm happy that he's getting through this. Kasi napakahirap para sa isang tao na pagdaanan iyon. Siyempre, mato-traumatize ka. So I'm happy that, you know, he's getting through it. He's getting through it, he's being strong," she said.
Addressing Navarro, Curtis added: "Whatever happens, we're here for you no matter what. Alam mo 'yan."
Navarro on Tuesday filed criminal charges against eight people, including businessman Cedric Lee and model Deniece Cornejo. The actor-host claimed that he was a victim of extortion, and that he was blindfolded and tied up before being attacked by at least six men.
Lee and Cornejo, in several interviews, maintained that Navarro attempted to rape the model, which led to their group restraining the TV host and carrying out a citizen's arrest.
Asked on Wednesday how Navarro "treats women," Curtis said: "Kita naman lahat. How he is onscreen, gano'n din siya sa akin off-screen. Sobrang bait po niya. Sobrang bait."
Dubbed "VhongAnne" by their fans, the co-hosts have formed a tandem of sorts on "It's Showtime," often teasing the audience with "romantic" moments despite being open about their respective real-life relationships.
Curtis was also asked to react to speculations that other alleged "victims" of Navarro are set to speak up. Lee, in an earlier interview, claimed Navarro "molested" seven other women, supposedly aside from Cornejo.
"I don't think there is anything I can say to that, because I don't know about it. I don't know," Curtis said. "For me, he's always treated me well. He's always been a gentleman to me, so I have nothing bad to say about Vhong."
On the possibility of Navarro returning to "It's Showtime," which he has co-hosted since it started in 2009, Curtis said, "Wala pa siguro. One day at a time for him. And we'll just be here to support him, no matter what."