Coco Martin reacts to 'Captain Barbell' rumors

By Reyma Buan-Deveza, ABS-CBNnews.com

Posted at Jan 16 2014 11:20 AM | Updated as of Jan 16 2014 07:20 PM

Actor Coco Martin

MANILA - Actor Coco Martin reacted to rumors that he has been offered the role of the iconic Filipino superhero Captain Barbell.

In an interview with ABS-CBNnews.com and other reporters on Wednesday, Martin made it clear that there was no offer for him to take on the character created by Mars Ravelo.

"Hindi, hindi [inalok sa akin]," said Martin, who is promoting his upcoming indie film "Padre de Familia" with Nora Aunor.

Martin, who portrayed the titular role in the fantasy series "Juan dela Cruz," said he is not fit for "Captain Barbell," citing his height.

"Hindi. Ang liit ko. Baka 'yung kapag naging superhero na siya hindi na ako 'yon. Ako 'yung normal. Maganda 'yung proyekto pero baka hindi sa akin bagay, baka pagtawanan ako," he said.

Meanwhile, Martin said he is set to do a new television series this year.

"Baka mag-start na ako itong end of January. Magbabalik ako. Napakagandang ano sa akin, kasi after 'Juan dela Cruz,' superhero siya, ngayon gumawa ako ng ganitong klaseng pelikula. Tapos ang gagawin kong next soap ay heavy drama na may action, kumbaga ready ako ngayon humarap sa soap operang gagawin ko," he said.

Last week, it was formally announced that actress-host Anne Curtis is playing the mermaid role "Dyesebel" in ABS-CBN's TV adaptation of the Mars Ravelo creation.

ABS-CBN won the rights to Dyesebel and 12 other titles or characters created by Ravelo in a deal described by the late novelist's son, Rex, as "the best option" for the comics novelist.