Are you tired, stressed and looking for a different way to relax? Here’s a very unique one – “Watsu,” short for Water Shiatsu, an alternative treatment.
“It is a form of aquatic body work aided by a practitioner. It makes your body float in the water. The warm water gives a relaxing effect as your body glides, turns and float on it,” says Rev Cruz, Physical Therapy Head, at Quality Life Discoveries.
|Segment Host, Pier Pastor, with Watsu trainer Rev Cruz
Watsu began in 1980 and was developed by Harold Dull who trained in Japan before he introduced this in America.
Before you start Watsu, the teacher determines how your body behaves in the water -- if you will float or not. Depending on the patient, leg floaters may be used to add buoyancy to the body.
Benefits of Watsu
- Relaxes your tired body and removes pains.
- The warm water helps in stretching tired, aching muscles and joints.
- Helps children with cerebral palsy and stroke patients who suffer chest tightness and spasticity.
Watsu is now in 40 countries and is being incorporated into aquatic therapy treatment programs in hospitals, clinics and rehabilitation centers. This unique therapy is said to have the following long terms benefits:
- Improve sleep patterns
- Improve digestion
- Improve healing
- Decrease anxiety and emotional pain
“Watsu is also good to people with emotional trauma. It’s liberating in terms of emotions, a unique experience. It’s more than the physical benefits. Others are able to release some repressed negative emotions,” adds Rev.
Segment Dok correspondent and segment host, Pier Pastor, shares her blissful experience with Watsu:
- It felt like I’m a baby being put to sleep.
- It was like the world is perfect and I have no problems in life
- During the therapy, it will make you feel everything is being taken care of.
- I have tried several therapies and healing modalities but I think Watsu is a very effective one.
- It made me feel good! I was stretched, massaged, relaxed and rejuvenated.
For information, Quality of Life Discoveries is at #70 20th Avenue, Project 4, Quezon City, Tel# (632) 9127433 – with reports from Maila Cuevas, Segment: Fitness and Wellness, Episode November 26, 2011
Salamat Dok is ABS-CBN’s multi-awarded public service and medical talk show that airs live on Saturdays 6am and Sundays 730am, simulcast on ANC. Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ABSCBNsalamatdok. Follow us on Twitter @salamatdok. Circle us on Google+. Email: [email protected]