SOCO: The Valenzuela massacre

By Koryn Iledan, Multimedia producer, SOCO

Posted at May 31 2011 02:14 PM | Updated as of Jun 02 2011 10:40 AM

It was past two in the morning of October 9, 1999 when a gunshot reverberated into the quietness of Road 3 Lingahan Street in Barangay Malanday, Valenzuela.

The Valenzuela police immediately responded and discovered that a couple has been killed. They were identified as Allyson “Bobet” Dizon, 35 years old, and Elena Dizon, 35 years old. Both died on the spot.

Their two children, Allan and Lalaine, were also victims of the shooting. They were both rushed to the Valenzuela City General Hospital.

After a few hours, Allan was declared stable. Lalaine’s condition, on the other hand, remained critical and she was transferred to the East Avenue Medical Center.

Meanwhile, when Allan gained enough strength to speak, he told the authorities what happened that day. The authorities were surprised by what he revealed because, apparently, the man behind the shooting was a brother in uniform—a one Senior Police Officer 1 (SPO1) Federico Patag.

Lalaine corroborated Allan’s statement one week later when her condition became stable.

But what could’ve pushed a law enforcer to gun down the Dizon family?

Dead on the spot. Bobet and Elena Dizon were both dead on the
spot after they were shot by a one SPO1 Federico Patag.

Surviving witness. According to Allan Dizon, his family was gunned
down by a one SPO1 Federico Patag.

Deadly grudge

According to Allan, on September 28, 1999, he was arrested by the Valenzuela Police Drug Enforcement Group, accusing him of drug abuse. His father, who was at that time in his grandmother’s home, was also arrested. “Galing kami sa basketball court [noon], may tumakbo sa ’kin na bata, nagre-raid daw sa amin,” he recalls.

Allan was also released that day. But his father, Obet, was kept in jail for two days and was allegedly tortured by seven policemen.

 “Tinorture siya ng pulis, pinalo siya ng baril sa dibdib, ‘yong likod niya binanlian ng mainit na tubig,” Allan says.

And because of this, Allan’s father field a case against SPO1 Patag, not knowing that the latter would get back at him.

Past two in the morning of October 9, Allan says he woke up to loud knocking. When he opened their front door, he was surprised to see SPO1 Patag. “Pagpasok niya, nakaporma na agad ‘yong baril niya, nakatanggal na sa holster,” he recalls. “Tinawag [kami] lahat, pinapunta sa sala nanay ko, tatay ko, kapatid ko.”

“Nakaupo na po kami lahat sa sala. Bigla na lang po nagtanong si Patag ng ‘Ano, iaatras mo ba ‘yong demanda laban sa akin o hindi?’,” Allan adds.

Allan says his father tried to calm the police officer down when all of a sudden - “Pagyuko ng tatay ko, binaril na niya,” he says. “Tapos sumunod nanay ko, ako, tapos ‘yong kapatid ko.”

Allan says he pretended to be dead. Her sister, meanwhile, couldn’t stop screaming from the pain. “Manhid na po ‘yong pakiramdam ko tapos sobrang init,” Lalaine says. “Akala ko nga po mamamatay na ‘ko.”

After the shooting, SPO1 Patag fled the scene. Allan then dragged himself out of the house and cried for help.

Elusive justice

SPO1 Patag was charged with two counts of murder and two counts of frustrated murder at the Branch 171 of the Valenzuela City Regional Trial Court. And the Valenzuela Police immediately launched a manhunt.

Unfortunately, SPO1 Patag had gone into hiding. Because of this, he was included in the PNP’s Most Wanted.

PNP’s Most Wanted. For years, SPO1 Federico Patag
remained elusive.

Years passed, but SPO1 Patag remained elusive. Allan and Lalaine lost hope and continued to live in fear.

 “Parang nawalan na rin ako ng pag-asa na mahuli siya kasi ilang taon na,” Allan says. “Ipinagpasadiyos ko na lang ‘yon.”

“Takot na talaga ako ;pag nakakakita ng baril, pulis,” Lalaine says. “Hindi na ako nakakatulog nang maayos kasi lagi ko naiisip na baka balikan niya kami. Baka isang araw, ‘yan na naman siya, papatayin naman niya kami.”

But in an unexpected turn of events, just this April, an informant tipped our very own Gus Abelgas on the whereabouts of SPO1 Patag, who immediately coordinated with the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group—Anti-Organized Crime Division.

Tipster. On April of this year, Gus Abelgas received a tip on the
whereabouts of the SPO1 Patag.

On April 13, the team proceeded to the alleged whereabouts of the suspect—in Ormoc, Leyte.

After two days of surveillance, they spotted Patag who was then assuming the name Jun Tanio.

Patag was arrested.

Patag did not resist anymore. In fact, he admitted to shooting the Dizon family. According to Patag, he was angered by the case filed against him.
“Sabi niya, ‘Yong mga pinatay kong mga ‘yan, pusher yan’,” Senior Inspector Melecio Mina of the CIDG says. “Tapos niyang mahuli, dinemanda sa piskalya, matapos dinismis ng piskalya ‘yong demanda sa huli niya, tapos binalikan pa siya ng kasong physical injury, so dun siya nagalit at parang pinalalabas niya na nilagay niya sa kamay ‘yong batas.”

The arrest.

Currently, Patag is detained at the Valenzuela City Jail. ABS-CBN SOCO tried to interview him but he refused.

For the Dizon siblings, meanwhile, his apprehension is the first step towards their closure. While their physical and emotional wounds may never fully heal, they’re thankful that, finally, they will be able to sleep without fear at night.