MANILA - Ayala-led Globe Telecom Inc. has slashed its call and text messaging rates to major foreign destinations in an effort to keep Filipinos connected to their loved ones overseas.
Overseas call rates have been reduced to as low as P2.50 per minute in selected countries, the Philippines' second-largest telecommunications firm said in a statement released Friday. International calls usually cost $0.40 or roughly P20 per minute.
Both prepaid and postpaid subscribers of Globe and Touch Mobile can avail of this promo by using the tipIDD card, which offers the following rates:
- P2.50 per minute: United States, Hong Kong, and Canada
- P5 per minute: Singapore, China, Malaysia, South Korea, and Taiwan
- P8 per minute: Australia, Thailand, Italy, United Kingdom, and Japan
- P10 per minute: Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates
Globe Telecom said its subscribers can also buy prepaid credit for international direct dialling (IDD) services in sari-sari stores, groceries, and other load outlets through its IDD Suki promo. The company offers 2 packages, depending on the country where one wishes to call:
- P20 for a 5-minute call: United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan
- P30 for a 3-minute call: Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Kuwait
"Versus other IDD products in the market, IDD Suki is the simplest way to make international calls since it allows customers to make direct calls without the need to dial prefixes, prepaid call card numbers or personal identification numbers," said Alan Supnet, Globe Telecom Head for Overseas Filipino Communities.
For those who do not need to stay long on the phone, Globe Telecom said users can avail of the IDD Sakto Calls promo, which charges voice calls on a per-second basis, by using the 12800 prefix:
- P0.15 per second: Australia, Canada, China, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Kuwait, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Equatorial Guinea
- P0.30 per second: all other international destinations
Aside from lower call rates, Globe Telecom said it has brought down its international short message service (ISMS) rates to P5 per text message. The company said there is no need to register, use access codes, or use special cards to avail of the discounted rate.
ISMS rates for Globe postpaid users are usually at P10 per text message, while Globe and TM prepaid users are usually charged P15 for every text message sent to other countries.