MANILA - The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) is hoping that the halt order issued by the Supreme Court on the transfer of the LRT 1-MRT 3-MRT 7 common station will not stall the awarding of the P64.9-billion LRT 1 Cavite Extension Project.
“We’re studying if the [extension project] can be awarded even with the temporary restraining order. We’re hoping the TRO is specific on the common station alone,” Transport Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said in an interview with radio dzMM.
The high court issued last week a TRO preventing the transfer of the common station to an area beside Trinoma mall from the original location in front of SM City North Edsa.
The design of the common station is part and parcel of the LRT 1 Cavite Extension Project.
Abaya earlier justified the transfer of the common station near Trinoma, saying it is for better connectivity, access and comfort for the riding public.
The common station there would also provide better access to commuters when the government implements the Bus Rapid Transit System, Abaya had said.
In a statement last Friday, SM Prime legal counsel Ryan San Juan said the firm is not seeking to delay the Cavite extension project.
“We are merely asking that the DOTC/LRTA and/or the winning bidder construct the Common Station component thereof in front of SM City North EDSA, in faithful compliance with the memorandum of agreement,” he said.