It takes more than a great idea to sustain a business, what more if you are starting up. Therefore, it's important that you make consumers remember your brand.
In an interview on ANC' Shop Talk, PR and marketing innovator and founding director of GeiserMaclang Marketing Communications, Amor Maclang, said branding is more than just a logo or a tagline, it is the soul of a product, person service, or corporation.
Maclang explained, brands are usually shaped by values of either the owner or the product and are predetermined by the brand principles.
There are also brands that are made from scratch and need to be curated from an owner's perspective, what the public wants or preexisting beliefs about certain categories. She added, science and creativity are both needed to make this happen.
Users of mobile apps may view the slideshow in www.abs-cbnnews.com
There are four basic principles needed to be followed in branding:
- Sincerity -- the owner must know his/her product or service values and must align them with the brand;
- Have an enterprising approach -- business development and operations must be consistent with the overall brand;
- Protect your brand -- risks are inevitable but one should learn to mitigate risks; and
- Be impactful - your brand must be able to enrich a discourse.
Maclang added, your brand reputation is your responsibility. As the business owner, you should know your brand values by heart and let the people know about it and it must be aligned with your actions.
Her advice for staying competitive and maintaining a good brand:
- Know your product
- Determine your target market
- Know how to reach your market
- Know your brand values by heart
- Align your brand with your actions
- Be consistent
For more tips, catch ANC’s “Shop Talk” every Thursday at 7 p.m., with replays at 10:30 p.m. and every Friday (3:30 a.m., 1:00 pm) and Sunday (4 a.m.)."Shop Talk" can also be watched on iwantv.com.ph and on tfc.tv (for viewers outside the Philippines).