Globe, Smart restore mobile services in 'Glenda'-hit areas


Posted at Jul 17 2014 04:12 PM | Updated as of Jul 18 2014 12:12 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Globe Telecom on Thursday said its mobile services have been restored in areas that experienced service disruption due to typhoon "Glenda".

Globe senior vice president for corporate communications Yoly Crisanto said the service disruption in areas heavily affected by "Glenda" was due mostly to loss of power.

"The power situation remains to be a challenge in areas severely affected by the typhoon and we are providing additional generation sets to mitigate power outage. Additional technical teams from other regions unaffected by the typhoon have also been deployed to aid local teams. We wish to assure our customers that the company continues to expedite the recovery process in affected sites,” Crisanto said.
Globe said its services in northern Luzon and Metro Manila were generally unaffected.
Meanwhile, Smart Communications and Sun Cellular said they have fully restored mobile network service coverage in Metro Manila.

However, Smart and Sun said some subscribers may experience "some level of degradation of voice and mobile Internet services" in certain areas of the National Capital Region.

The telcos said their services in central and northern Luzon were largely unaffected.

Smart and Sun said mobile network service coverage in Southern Luzon and Bicol region has been restored to 80 percent of areas affected by typhoon "Glenda." The remaining 20 percent is still experiencing service disruption due to prolonged power outage and transmission interruptions.

At the same time, PLDT said 81 percent of its fixed line network has been restored, as repairs of damaged facilities are completed and power returns.

"Our engineers have been working round the clock to ensure continuity of services. Because of our continuing efforts to improve network resiliency, we were able to quickly provide mobile phone umbrella coverage to many of the affected areas to compensate for the temporary loss of some of our cell sites," Ramon R. Isberto, PLDT Group Spokesperson and Public Affairs Head, said.

On Wednesday, services of PLDT, Smart and Sun were disrupted in parts of Metro Manila as well as in Regions 3 (Central Luzon), 4 (CALABARZON), and 5 (Bicol), as typhoon "Glenda" battered the region.

Isberto said full normalization of services will depend on the restoration of commercial power in affected areas.

"We are requesting the public to be careful in clearing fallen trees and posts. Many of the fiber cuts affecting transmission facilities for both fixed and wireless were caused by accidental cutting of cables as fallen trees and other debris are removed after a typhoon," he said.