Grab PH defends P2 per minute charge

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 10 2018 11:53 PM | Updated as of Jul 10 2018 11:54 PM

MANILA - Grab Philippines on Tuesday stood its ground that the P2 per minute charge that was suspended by regulators is legal.

"We stand by the legality of the P2 per minute fare component. We would like to reiterate that it is legal, pursuant to the DO 2015-011," the ride-hailing firm's country head Brian Cu said in a statement.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board on Tuesday ordered Grab to pay P10 million in penalties for overcharging its customers.

The company should also reimburse its passengers who were charged from June 5, 2017 to April 19, 2018 through rebates, the 9-page order from LTFRB read.

 

Cu, in his official Facebook page, said they are currently studying "legal options" regarding LTFRB's order.

"But no matter how we decide to move forward from this, be assured, Grab will stay," he said.

In April, regulators suspended the extra travel charge after Grab admitted during a meeting with stakeholders that it failed to inform passengers about it.

The company last month said it began subsidizing fares to make up for the suspension of the scheme that affected drivers' earnings.

"We would like our driver-partners and passengers to know that we are committed to continuing Grab’s pursuit towards a better future for the transportation industry," Cu said.

"To our partners and passengers, thank you for your continued loyalty and support. We are in this together. Grab is here for good."

Grab has come under closer scrutiny from regulators since it took over the Southeast Asian operations of rival Uber in April.