MANILA, Philippines - The United States is known as the "land of opportunity," where countless men and women have built their businesses and have become billionaires in the process.
Wealth-X, the world’s leading ultra high net worth (UNHW) intelligence and prospecting firm, compiled a list of the top 10 richest living self-made American entrepreneurs.
The 10 entrepreneurs are worth $407.4 billion, accounting for 20 percent on the total UNHW wealth in the US.
Also, the market capitalization of these 10 individuals' primary companies amounts to $1.7 trillion. Wealth-X said this means they have "created wealth four times what they are worth themselves."
Microsoft founder Bill Gates topped the list with an estimated net worth of $80.2 billion.
Gates famously dropped out of Harvard and founded Microsoft with his friend Paul Allen. He served as Microsoft CEO until 2000 and is now focused on global philanthropic work through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Most of the billionaires on the list made their fortunes from technology or technology-related businesses. Aside from Gates, the list includes Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg and Oracle's Larry Ellison.
Here is the complete list:
1. Bill Gates (Microsoft), 58, $80.2 billion
2. Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway), 83, $64.2 billion
3. Larry Ellison (Oracle), 69, $48.2 billion
4. Michael Bloomberg (Bloomberg), 72, $33.7 billion
5. Sheldon Adelson (Las Vegas Sands), 80, $32.8 billion
6. Larry Page (Google), 41, $31.3 billion
7. Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), 30, $30.9 billion
8. Jeff Bezos (Amazon.com), 50, $30.5 billion
9. Sergey Brin (Google), 40, $30.1 billion
10. Carl Icahn (Icahn Enterprises), 78, $25.2 billion