ICTSI wins contract to build, operate Australia port


Posted at May 02 2014 02:42 PM | Updated as of May 02 2014 10:42 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Enrique Razon's International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTSI) is developing a new international container terminal in Melbourne, Australia.

ICTSI and Anglo Ports, through their Australian subsidiary, Victoria International Container Terminal Limited (VICTL), have signed a contract for the development of the terminal.

Under the deal, VICTL is given the rights to design, build and operate the new terminal at Webb Dock and design, build and operate the new, on-port empty container park at Webb Dock East, both in Melbourne, until June 30, 2040.

“It is a premier project in a country that is considered to be a leader in infrastructure development, and we plan to introduce leading edge and proven technologies that will consistently deliver the highest levels of port performance,” ICTSI head of the Asia-Pacific region Christian Gonzalez said.

ICTSI, through its subsidiary ICTSI FE, owns 90 percent of VICTL. The remaining 10 percent is owned by Anglo Ports Pty Limited.

Phase 1 of the terminal, which will be able to handle vessels with a capacity of up to 8,000 TEUs, will be ready for operation by December 31, 2016.

The second phase is expected to be operational by December 31, 2017.

When fully developed and as required by volume growth, the 35.4 hectare terminal will be able to handle up to 1.4 million TEUs annually, with the empty container park’s capacity rising to 280,000 TEUs.

The investment for the full development of the Webb Dock Container Terminal and the empty container park is estimated at around AUD$550 million, and forms part of the Port of Melbourne’s AUD$1.6 billion Port Capacity Project.

The new facility is expected to create around 200 new jobs at the port.

The Port of Melbourne is Australia’s largest container and automotive port, attracting more than 3,200 commercial ship visits annually.

The project marks ICTSI’s entry into Australia, and extends its portfolio of managed ports to 30 terminals across six continents.