MANILA - Malacanang on Monday refuted a statement attributed to the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry warning that the power supply situation in the Philippines is now at a critical levels.
Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, quoting Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, said there is no problem with power supplies in Luzon and the Visayas.
"Ang Luzon medyo tight lang ang supply but kayang i-handle 'yung energy concerns," he said.
"With respect to Mindanao, ang point talaga doon, everything -- as stated already by Secretary Petilla even before -- it will fully be normalized in 2015 when the power plants owned by Alsons and by Aboitiz will be operational, sometime in 2015," he added.
Lacierda said not all of Mindanao was affected by recent power outages.
"Let me just state some of the areas where there is power: Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Iligan, Bukidnon, Agusan del Norte, and Misamis Oriental. These areas have power because they have embedded generators. Ibig sabihin, 'yung mga coops may mga power plants sila. Pangalawa... they have embedded generators and they have contracted diesel generators."
Lacierda noted that some of electric cooperatives are buying generator sets.
"This is a concern that we have raised already last year. So the situation is there," he said. "The lowest point of the hydro ngayon is March eh, so mababa ang tubig natin ngayon for March. (By) April and May, we hope tataas na 'yung water storage doon. So that's the situation right now."