Talks for NAIA 3 rehab going in right direction

By Louella D. Desiderio, The Philippine Star

Posted at Feb 28 2012 08:30 AM | Updated as of Feb 28 2012 04:30 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Talks between the government and Japanese contractor Takenaka Corp. are moving in the right direction, with discussions now covering details of actual construction work for the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3, a Cabinet official said.

“On Takenaka, the exchange of proposals and counter-proposals and talks appear to be moving in the right direction. What is called construction works agreement is now being discussed,” DOTC Secretary Manuel Roxas II told reporters yesterday.

The government, he said, is in talks with Takenaka to sign a memorandum of agreement (MOA) first but with discussions now covering more specific details of the construction work to be undertaken to make the terminal fully operational, the signing of the MOA will no longer be needed.

He said earlier that a MOA will be signed first followed by terms of reference for the delivery of 23 airport systems that would hasten the full operation of the terminal.

“Our target is that by December of this year, 75 percent of Terminal 3 will be operational with the other 25 percent by the first quarter or certainly by the first half of next year,” he said.

He noted that only 50 percent of the terminal is operational at present.

He said there is no specific date yet as to when the signing of the contract works agreement detailing specific work on Terminal 3 could take place, as negotiations on costing and pricing still need to be completed.

He said he will be meeting with Takenaka for final negotiations.

“We are just waiting for the senior member of the Takenaka family ... to handle the negotiation on their part. We expect that this would be happening before the middle of March,” he said.

Takenaka was a sub-contractor of the Philippine International Air Terminals Co. Inc., builder of the NAIA Terminal 3, which filed a case against the government after its contract had been cancelled.

A ruling of the Pasay City Regional Trial Court allowing the government to take full control of the uncompleted NAIA 3 project last year has paved the way for government to pursue talks with Takenaka.