Philab chief answers suspension allegation

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 22 2017 08:11 PM

MANILA - Philab chairman Thomas Navasero said Wednesday the company's reported suspension from bidding for projects at the Department of Education (DepEd) has not been approved. 

Navasero released the statement after The Tribune newspaper reported that Philab was suspended for failing to deliver on a P113.4-million contract last year. 

"The suspension is still on hold because the Office of the President has yet to decide on it," Navasero said in a statement. 

"This issue does not affect our business with the Department of Education and we plan to keep our business relationship with them. We have been doing business with them for more than 50 years, " he added.

In November last year, Philab was suspended from taking part in DepEd's procurement process for a year, after it allegedly failed to fulfill requirements under a P113.4-million contract. It was supposed to deliver mathematics and science equipment to 544 public high schools in 2015, according to reports.

Education Secretary Leonor Briones informed Navasero of the suspension in a letter last November. -- Jan Yumul, ABS-CBN News