Where do we go from here as far as the Mindanao peace process is concerned? What lessons have we learned? What new insights have we gained that we must apply in the future?
These and many other issues will be tackled in “Mindanao: The Way Forward,” a one-and-a-half hour special on ANC, the ABS-CBN News Channel, that brings together experts, public officials, business people, and various sectors that are involved in the peace process in Mindanao.
“Mindanao: The Way Forward” will be held at the Marco Polo Hotel in Davao City on Feb. 4, Wednesday, and will air on ANC on Feb. 6, Friday, at 7.30 p.m. Replays will be on Feb. 7, Saturday, at 7.30 pm and 12 midnight, also on ANC.
Anchored by veteran journalists Tony Velasquez and Lynda Jumilla, the show aims to bring Mindanao back on the national agenda. The panel of speakers represents a wide range: national government, business sector, military, local government, civil society, media, and the academe.
The panelists include:
- Sarangani Gov. Miguel Dominguez;
- North Cotabato Vice Gov. Manny Piñol;
- Cotabato City Mayor Muslimin Sema;
- MILF adviser Michael Mastura;
- Moro National Liberation Front legal counsel Randolph Parcacio;
- Assistant Secretary Camilo Montesa of the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process;
- former presidential peace adviser Hermogenes Esperon;
- former government peace panel head ret. Lt. Gen. Rodolfo Garcia;
- Marine commandant Maj. Gen. Benjamin Dolorfino;
- peace adviser Fr. Eliseo “Jun” Mercado;
- peace advocates Amina Rasul Bernardo and Augusto Miclat;
- business people Margie Floirendo and Vicente Lao;
- Ateneo School of Government Dean Tony La Viña;
- Asia Foundation country representative Steven Rood;
- former peace adviser Fermin Adriano;
- UP Prof. Raymund Quilop;
- Eastern Mindanao Command chief Maj. Gen. Raymundo Ferrer;
- lawyer Raissa Jajurie;
- ABS-CBN senior vice president for news Maria Ressa; and,
- abs-cbnNEWS.com/Newsbreak editor-in-chief Marites Danguilan Vitug.
The panel of experts will also include Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) spokesperson Mohager Iqbal, Mindanews editor-in-chief Carolyn Arguillas, and Undersecretary Virgilio Leyreytana of the Mindanao Economic Development Council (MEDCO).
ANC’s partners for this show are the Canadian Embassy, the Asia Foundation, and mindanews.com.
Through this show, “we’d like our audience—Filipinos here and abroad and all those interested in peace in Mindanao—to better understand the nuances and complexities of the current situation and come to terms with the need for a comprehensive and creative approach to it,” said Glenda M. Gloria, ANC chief operating officer. “The forum will be held in Davao—to drive home the point that the best ideas on how to move forward are best discussed and implemented by the people of Mindanao themselves.”
Catch the special on Feb. 6, Friday, at 7.30 pm on ANC.